Tuesday, May 8, 2007

The Pain of Discipline or the Pain of Regret

“We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret or disappointment.” Jim Rohn

Jim Rohn has many thought provoking quotes. This is one of my favorite ones – not that I ever have a problem with discipline! (LOL). If you have never read any material of his, I suggest you do.

Isn’t that quote the truth? It is so easy to not stay consistent with my plan to exercise, eat
low calorie (stay away from that ice cream!), work my business etc., etc., etc. Yes, that instant gratification can feel good, or at least comfortable in the moment. Not so good the next day or even in the next minute.

Instant gratification is a powerful thing. If it weren’t, many of us would be thin, fit, and living happier, more fulfilling lives.

I notice a big difference in the way I feel about myself when I do what I intend to do. My confidence is higher and I am more apt to keep on doing that discipline. Once I slip though, it can be a slippery slope.

Focus, visualization and an intense desire to reach a goal contribute strongly to not sliding into the Pain of Regret. Everyone slips or wanes on their focus (or at least everyone I personally know – if you know of anyone perfect, let me know), but it is getting up and getting back with the program that will separate the winners and losers.

At times of choice, I will remind myself of that quote – I will ask myself “What do you want – the pain of discipline or the pain of regret – Is this action going to take you closer or further from your goal?” It doesn’t ALWAYS work – the mind is really good at rationalizing.

However, it does keep my awareness higher in regard to what I am doing
and the fact that I am responsible for it.

Which do you think is the bigger pain – the pain of discipline or the pain of regret?

No comments: